Commissioned for the opening of the new Courier-Express Building in 1930, the mural painted by Charles Bigelow and Ernest Davenport is a significant piece of Buffalo's rich journalistic and artistic history.
The Allegany School of Natural History was an interesting partnership between the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences and Allegany State Park. Here we share some images from these early 1920s camps.
The Grand Canyon of the East has been a tourist location since the 1830s, but it has also faced numerous threats from developers who sought to utilize the Middle Falls as a source of power.
Images of Chestnut Ridge Park from the 1920s and 1930s.
Today the name Letchworth is associated with the state park on the edge of Wyoming and Livingston counties, but the man for which the park is named had a successful business and philanthropic career as well.
Thanks to a successful partnership between county and conservancy, the largest of the Erie County parks has been experiencing a renaissance in recent years. Here we look at the park’s creation, decline and how it is bouncing back.
See the Old Photo Album in the Summer 2010 issue for rare and colorful images of the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens in the last century, with historical details by editor Douglas DeCroix.
In 1794, George Washington promised the Seneca Nation that their land in the Allegheny Valley would be theirs forever, but floods and pollution in Pittsburgh caused later generations to renege on his promise.