From volume 24 of the Buffalo Historical Society Publications (1920):
"Buffalo has not hitherto been rich in public monuments and memorials, but in recent years several notable ones have appeared and more are in preparation. One simple but effective monument...is the memorial boulder set up at the Front, adjoining the grounds of Fort Porter, in memory of the 100th Regiment, New York Volunteers, Buffalo's 'Board of Trade Regiment' during the Civil War. It was dedicated and unveiled September 25, 1916, by the 100th N.Y. Veterans Association. It is a rough-dressed granite block set in a circular granite curb, and bearing bronze tablets on its two principal sides."