In 1931, the lot at 860 Hertel, seen at left, was occupied by the Huber-Lanctot Housewrecking Corporation. During the 1960's the lot was cleared for construction of a McDonald's hamburger franchise.
McDonald's served many customers over the decades it occupied 860 Hertel, but when it closed the lot was purchased by Benderson Development which, in 2004, swapped the lot with the Buffalo Urban Development Agency (for a city-owned lot at 575 Delaware). The city then constructed a new firehouse on the lot, opening in late 2005, combining both Ladder 12 and Engine 36 in one building. The new $2.8 million-dollar firehouse is part of Buffalo's plan to consolidate and modernize fire service to the city and serves Black Rock, the Elmwood District, and North Buffalo neighborhoods.