Built in 1902 from a design by architect W.L. Schmolle, this stately residence was one of many featured in the 1915 edition of Beautiful Homes of Buffalo.
Therein is it listed as the home of Agnes Andrews, the widow of the late Dr. Judson B. Andrews, who served as Superintendent of the Buffalo State Hospital for the Insane from its opening in 1880 until his death in 1894.
Upon her husband’s death, Agnes originally moved from the Buffalo State Hospital to live with her daughter, Mary Campbell Matzinger, and her husband, Dr. Herman Matzinger, at their home at 546 Lafayette Ave.
In 1902, evidence suggests the extended family decided to move to a larger dwelling, and had the house at 90 Soldiers Place built. The impending birth of the Matzinger’s first child, Agnes, in April 1902 may have contributed to the decision to seek a larger residence.
Dr. Herman Gustavus Matzinger, graduated from Buffalo Medical College in 1883, and became clinical assistant at the Buffalo State Hospital in 1888, where no doubt he became acquainted with Dr. Andrews and his daughter.
Among other accomplishments, Dr. Matzinger made all the urinalysis and was in charge of all the chemical and bacteriological work for the postmortem examination of President McKinley, as well as performing the autopsy on the president with Dr. Harvey Gaylord.
Dr. Matzinger also served with Dr. Roswell Park and Dr. Gaylord as part of the initial interdisciplinary staff of the Gratwick Research Laboratory, which opened in 1902, focusing on cancer etiology and immunology studies.
Other titles held by Matzinger included professor of psychiatry in the college of medicine, University of Buffalo as well as psychiatrist-in-chief at the City Hospital.
Mrs. Andrews continued to live in the home with her daughter’s family until her death in 1931, and the home remained in her name during this time.
Dr. Matzinger also passed away in 1931. Mary Campbell Matzinger continued to reside in the home after the deaths of her mother and husband, and is documented as living there at least as late as 1955.