Thanks to the ground-breaking ideas of Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, the beautiful Buffalo park and parkway system was the first of its kind in the world.
Founded in 1912 on the tenets of progressive education, The Park School of Buffalo still thrives today, with an emphasis on learning by doing and school as community.
Known as the “Painter of the Niagara Frontier,” Amos Sangster is best known for his historic series of etchings, published from 1886 to 1889, which chronicled the complete Niagara River from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario.
Oakwood Cemetery, opened in 1852, was typical of the Rural Cemetery Movement — but far from ordinary. Designed by railroad engineer Theodore Judah, it’s the only cemetery with a section dedicated to Niagara’s daredevils.
The experiences of Eugene Hegedüs, who came to this region as a refugee after the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, shed light on the history of the local Piarist Fathers, the Calasanctius School and the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Graycliff estate.
Opened 90 years ago, the E.B. Green-designed Buffalo Athletic Club Building characterized the transition of Niagara Square from a top residential address to an important civic center.
David Carli discusses the former Bethany Town Hall, an important, 180-year-old structure, now seeking a rebirth.